branch graphic

Comments, Compliments, Complaints

How can I make a comment, compliment or complaint?

If you are not happy with the care or treatment you have received in the National Health Service (NHS) or Social Services provided by the local authority it is important that you tell the people who are responsible as they can only put things right if you let them know what is wrong. You will not be treated any differently because you have made a complaint.

These organisations would also like to hear from you if you have had a positive experience and you can offer your comments and compliments using the same contact details.

Listed below are all the contact details for the organisations:

GPs, dentists, pharmacists and optometrists:

If you have a complaint to make about the local primary care services you receive – these are the services provided by GPs, dentists, pharmacists and optometrists – you should contact NHS England.

NHS England has set up a national Customer Contact Centre (CCC) to act as the first point of call for complaints, general enquiries and Freedom of Information requests about primary care, offender and military health services.

You can contact the national Customer Contact Centre by:

The service operates Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm, except bank holidays. Calls to 03 numbers should cost no more than geographic 01 or 02 calls, and may be part of inclusive minutes subject to provider and call package.

Barnsley Hospital:

If you do not feel satisfied with the treatment or care you receive at the hospital you may like to speak to a member of the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) based at the main entrance of the hospital. They will do their best to sort out any difficulties straight away on an informal basis on your behalf.

Adult or Children's Social Care Services:

For full details on how to feedback or make a complaint to Barnsley Council click here to visit their website.

Community or mental health care services provided by South West Yorkshire Foundation Partnership NHS Trust

To make a compliment or complaint about a service provided by South West Yorkshire Foundation Partnership NHS Trust in Barnsley you can visit their website or download their pdf short guide to customer services.   

If you want to find out more about what services are provided in Barnsley by the Trust you can download their pdf guide to local healthcare services provided by South West Yorkshire Partnership Foundation Trust.

NHS Barnsley Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG)

If you have a compliment or complaint directly about the CCG please email us at or call our Quality Team on 01226 433772. Please be assured that your details will remain confidential and only be shared with relevant staff in order to address your concerns.

NHS Complaints Advocates

Complaint advocates can help if you or someone you know has not had the care or treatment you expect to receive from your NHS services and you want to complain. They provide practical support, they help people to explore their options at the different complaint stages and can provide information that can help people to decide what to do.  Advocates can also support people to speak up for themselves and represent their own thoughts and feelings. Further information is available from: DIAL, Suite 6 – 9, 3rd Floor, McLintock’s, Summer Lane, Barnsley, S70 2NZ. Tel – 01226 240273. E-mail –

Healthwatch Barnsley

Healthwatch is the independent consumer champion created to gather and represent the views of the public. Healthwatch will play a role at both national and local level and will make sure that the views of the public and people who use services are taken into account. For more information visit the Healthwatch Barnsley website.

Do you work for a local healthcare service?

The CCG recognises that, in addition to the people receiving services, staff providing the services we commission have a valuable insight into the quality of care being delivered and includes consideration of these views, as part of our quality monitoring activity.

In recognition that individual staff members may not be accessible (or feel able to talk) during quality assurance visits, the CCG wants to highlight that these staff can escalate patient safety concerns that they can demonstrate that their organisation has not effectively acted upon, either to the CCG or other regulatory organisations.

It must be emphasised that the CCG will need to seek evidence that the whistleblowing policy of the relevant healthcare provider organisation has been followed and exhausted and that for individuals to raise concerns anonymously, it will not be possible to provide direct feedback on the subsequent actions of the CCG.